Friday, September 11, 2009

flower essences illegal?




My 14 year old daughter got "busted" for taking 4 drops of Bach's White Chestnut Flower essence at her high school.

My daughter was diagnosed with A.D.D. and I choose not to put her on the prescribed narcotics. We went down that road before and it didn't work for us. My daughter couldn't eat, couldn't sleep and told me that she felt that it made her feel dull.

Flower essence seems to work for her, I gave her a bottle to take to school and keep in her purse. Even though I probably should have thought twice about it's contents .. I did not. Flower essences uses alcohol as a preservative. 4 drops of flower essence has less alcohol than 1/4 of a small ripe banana, a 5 year old can purchase flower essence, you can do flower essence and drive. It is safe to give flower essence to a 6th month old.

Yet, they pulled her from class, searched her purse and made the appropriate phone calls. I was told by an officer of the law that he guaranteed me that if he made her blow in a breathalyzer that it would show alcohol in her system. I challenged him, I asked him to please do give her one. He took offense by this and began to raise is voice, telling me that he is doing me a favor by NOT giving her one, do I want him to give her a ticket? she would have to go to court and would have a record. I told him that he should go ahead, give her a breathalyzer and if it came up positive for alcohol then he would be educating me. He changed the subject and wouldn't give her one.
The Vice principal told me over the phone that my daughter would be suspended for consumption of alcohol. But by the end of our conversation he told me that he would let her slide but that the principal could over rule that. The vice principal also told me that he was giving us a break and that it would NOT go in her record but she still had to go home for consumption of alcohol.

I think that they are idiots, I think that they started a big ruckus because they are ignorant, and when I gave them a little information, a little too late they still had to follow through with sending her home for consumption of alcohol.

However they also knew that they hadn't anything to stand on and legally couldn't ticket her, suspend her or put it in her record... they knew that they would have a legal battle if they did.

So, my daughter does not take flower essence to school anymore. When she has a water bottle I will put a dose in there for her. She will not bring the bottle of essence to school though. This is so unfortunate, I was appalled at their ignorance.

I wrote the company Bach and they too were appalled.
I spoke with an organic alchemist, business owner of LOTUS WEI,LLC., She has offered to help educate my daughters school on flower essences.

I have found it hard to not push this further, by filing a complaint with the police department, by writing the school board by calling the local news station. However,I am not sure of what my intentions would be about doing that. Is it for revenge? or is it for education purposes. Should I fight for my rights or chalk it up as a learning experience and move on?

I won't make that decision today. I will sit quietly and figure out my intentions first.

But for the record... keep your flower essence hidden, don't show any officers of the law and maybe you should think twice about drinking while consuming flower essences.



visit lotuswei.com



3 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate what happened. However, the average person who is not informed about flower essences has no idea. They see alcohol as an ingredient and that is all they can assume. I am not saying they are right but we, as herbalists and natural health advocates, need to understand their misunderstanding and work to teach. We know we have chosen a path that is considered strange and alien to others. Take a breath, know your path, know you are right in what you believe, and teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herbanchica,
    Sounds like the school needs some Joy Juice flower essences! ;)
    This has happened before; you are actually not the first. I believe that the motivations of the school are to protect the kids and the environment; once they understand a little more, they'll be grateful when more kids start taking flower essences ... more peacefulness, kindness, and appreciation all around.
    In the meantime, don't hide the flower essences, you can happily make them with glycerin and apple cider vinegar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey lady...ive been thinking about writing an article about this whole journey. i have a couple of ideas of places that might actually be interested. the idea is freaking me out too much and i may chicken out, but what do you think...

    ReplyDelete